Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Split Pea (and vegetable) Soup with Ham.

We've had a shift in weather recently : The snow has melted and the wind has become extraordinary. Gusting through the trees, letting me know where all the weak spots are around my doors and windows, pushing my car back and forth while I try to stay in my lane.

Gavin and I ventured out in it a few days ago and he (almost) panicked because no matter how he turned his head the wind was attaching his face. I had to pick him up and carry him with his head buried in my chest. 

I kind of loved it. Not Gavin panicking, but feeling the cold wind blow all around. Hearing   it holler outside while I'm snug at my computer, knowing that there's a pot of soup simmering for dinner.

Ah soup. For me it is the ultimate comfort food. Warm, filling, delicious. Grab a bowl (or cup) and hunker down with a good book or movie and just let time pass around you while you snuggle in a little cocoon of peace. 

And of course it (can be) extremely healthy. 

Now split pea soup is already very healthy so how can we make it better? Sneaking in more veggies!

In this recipe I've used (yellow) summer squash, however feel free to substitue with whatever you'd like. Other great vegetables to sub in are: Green Beans, Spinach, Zucchini, Kale, Squash (acorn, butternut), Asparagus, Turnip, Bell Pepper. Keep in mind the flavors your adding - I would stick with 1 and a half cups of extra vegetable per half pound of split peas. That way you shouldn't overpower the star of the show. 

Also I have (extremely) picky eaters so I've blended the carrots, celery, and onion as well to keep their nutrition but hide their presence. Feel free to keep them whole.



Recipe:
1/2 lb Split Peas
6 cups Ham Stock
2 cloves Garlic
1/2 cup diced Onion
3/4 cup diced Carrots
1 1/2 cups sliced Yellow Summer Squash
1 cup diced Potatoes
1 1/2 cups Ham

1. Simmer the Split Peas, Ham Stock, Garlic, Onion, Carrots, and Summer Squash together for 2 hours or until peas are soft.

2. (Optional) Use a hand mixer and blend the vegetables until completely smooth.

3. Add in the Ham and Potatoes then continue to simmer for 20 min or until potatoes are cooked to your liking.

4. Enjoy!

Pro-tip: This is the perfect way to use leftover Ham. 

No comments: